- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup non-dairy butter
- 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Filling
- 1 tablespoon coconut or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup white onion, minced
- 1 cup fresh asparagus, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dried tomatoes, chopped
- (1) 14 ounce block of medium/firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated minced onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ⅓ cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- Prepare by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F and then spraying one 9″ pie pan or four 5″ mini quiche dishes and setting aside.
- For the crust, combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Add non-dairy butter in small chunks and with a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut into the dough until it resembles small pea sized pieces. Add cold water and turn over onto a floured surface to bring together. (It will be pretty dry, but should stick together when pressed between your fingers.)
- Press into the prepared pie pan(s) and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool while making the filling.
- For the filling, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat before adding the onions and sautéing until translucent and fragrant (about three minutes). Add asparagus and tomatoes and sauté for another three minutes until asparagus becomes slightly tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine tofu, nutritional yeast, non-dairy milk, flour, onions, turmeric, liquid smoke, lemon juice, and sea salt in a food processor and blend until smooth – transfer to a bowl. Add asparagus mixture, fresh basil, and vegan cheese and stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon filling into chilled pie crust, smoothing over the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes (less if you are making small quiche) until top has browned slightly and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
There are a lot of misconceptions surrounding veganism. The notion that those who practice it are lacking in protein and…
Did you know that you can greatly reduce inflammation and boost your immune system by simply incorporating more anti-inflammatory foods…