This Raw Dirty Turtle Ice Cream is a deliciously sweet ice cream made from coconut, bananas and vanilla that is topped with a decadent caramel swirl made from dates, coconut butter and coconut nectar. Enjoy!
Raw Caramel Swirl
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted (soaked in filtered water for 30 minutes if not soft, then drained)
- 2 Tbsp raw coconut butter
- 3 Tbsp raw coconut nectar, maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp filtered water
For the Ice Cream
- 1 cup coconut water
- 3 cups young coconut meat*
- 2 cups ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup raw coconut nectar or maple syrup (or your preferred liquid raw sweetener)
- seeds of one vanilla bean (or 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup coconut butter (not oil), warmed to liquid
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- For the caramel, place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
- For the ice cream base, add the coconut water, coconut, bananas, nectar, vanilla, sea salt to the blender and process until thoroughly smooth (approximately a minute or two).
- Slowly add the coconut butter, making sure that it doesn’t clump up, and process for another minute.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions.
- When the ice cream is finished, remove and pour 1/3 of it into a freezer safe container with a lid. Drizzle 1/3 of the caramel over it, scatter 1/3 of the pecans and cacao nibs over that, and then pour half the remaining ice cream on top.
- Drizzle with half the remaining caramel, scatter with half the remaining pecans and cacao nibs, then top with the remaining ice cream then the remaining caramel and pecans and cacao nibs.
- Place in the freezer and let sit for at least four hours or overnight to firm up to scoopable consistency.
Makes about 6 cups.