This Dark Chocolate Chipotle Sweet Potato Fudge is a delicious and decadent vegan, gluten free, oil free and nut free dessert that combines chopped dark chocolate and mashed sweet potato with maple syrup, vegan milk and exotic spices like chipotle chile pepper and cinnamon. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked sweet potato (128 g)
- Two 3.5 oz 70% dark chocolate bars, finely chopped (7 oz total, 200 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, room temperature (60 mL)
- 2 tablespoons creamy plant milk, room temperature (I used “lite” canned coconut milk) (30 mL)
- heaping 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper spice (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon strong quality cinnamon (I used Saigon cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Cook the sweet potato thoroughly and mash with fork. Pack tightly into measuring cup and add to food processor.
- Finely chop the chocolate, add to a bowl and microwave on 30 second intervals until melted (be careful not to overcook or burn it).
- Add salt to the chocolate, quickly stir and then add the mix to the food processor, scraping all of it out of the bowl (using a rubber spatula may help with this).
- Process the chocolate and potato until smooth, slowly adding the syrup, milk, chipotle spice and cinnamon. Repeat 1-2 times, until thoroughly combined and smooth. (If using canned coconut milk, shake the can first, so you aren’t just getting water.)
- Add the vanilla and process once more. (For a sweeter version like traditional fudge, add a tablespoon or so of a dry sweetener, not liquid sweetener as it will affect the texture.)
- Prepare a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan by lining with plastic wrap, being sure to have it hang over the edges. For a thicker fudge, use a smaller dish. I sprayed my pan first so the plastic wrap would adhere better. Add all of the chocolate fudge to the pan and spread out with a rubber spatula flat and out to the corners.
- Optional: Add red pepper flakes on top for an extra spicy fudge, or for a sweet topping, sprinkle coconut sugar.
- Overlap the plastic wrap over the fudge, smooth the top, leave the plastic wrap down and place in the fridge to firm up for at least a couple of hours before slicing. (Store in the refrigerator. These are great for a party, as they will stay solid at room temperature!)
Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free and Nut-free
Nutrition per fudge (based on 10 pieces): 155.7 calories, 8.6 g fat, 17.7 carbs, 2.25 g protein, 11.2 g sugars