- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup coconut milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
For The Toppings
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp orange juice
- chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350F, lightly spray a doughnut pan, and then set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, coconut, baking powder, and salt. In a smaller bowl, whisk together sugar, apple sauce, canola oil, orange juice, coconut milk, and zest in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- With a piping bag (or spoon) fill doughnut cavities ⅔ full. Bake 12-13 minutes, until lightly golden and doughnut springs back when gently touched.
- Allow doughnuts to cool ten minutes before removing from the pan. Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the orange glaze by stirring together powdered sugar and orange juice with a whisk until desired consistency; it should be thick, but not clumpy.
- Dip the top half of each doughnut in the orange glaze and top with crushed pistachios.
Makes 10 doughnuts. Prep time: 20 min.; Total time: 32 min.
With origins in ancient Rome, cooking with flowers is a culinary tradition enjoyed by cultures worldwide, including China, the Middle…
Over the past several years, meal replacements have become quite the thing. They’re everywhere, from health food markets to convenience…