For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (180 g)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave (67.5 ml)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut butter (42 g)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple juice or water 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
For the Cake
- 1 cup melted coconut butter (224 g)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (195 ml) (either homemade raw version or use canned low fat light coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave, room temp (90 ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Start preparing the crust by adding the oats to a food processor (or use storebought oat flour) and process into a fine flour. Add 2 cups of oats and process for 2 minutes until it is finely ground.
- Measure out 1 1/2 cups and add to a bowl.
- Add the remaining “crust” ingredients and stir until a crumbly, wet texture forms.
- Line an 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap, allowing the plastic wrap to hang over the sides. (Spray the pan first with nonstick spray and the plastic wrap will hold in place.)
- Press the dough into the bottom of the lined cake pan, evenly and flat around to the edges.
- Place in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the cake by melting the coconut butter to a complete liquid. (It is important that it is a runny liquid when measuring, so the right texture is achieved.)
- Set the coconut butter liquid aside.
- In a large bowl, add the milk, syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the cinnamon and salt.
- Pour in the melted coconut butter and whisk with a fork (works better than a spoon) until smooth and is thick like cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared crust and place in the fridge to completely set. (approximately 1-2 hours.)
- Once set, just pull the cake out with the plastic wrap and slice.
- Top with coconut cream, cinnamon and strawberries, if desired.
It is crucial that the liquid ingredients are all at room temperature when adding to the melted coconut butter for the cake. Otherwise, the coconut butter will sieze up if the liquids are cold. Also, coconut butter is not the same thing as coconut oil. Coconut butter is dried coconut that is processed into a liquid, whereas coconut oil is just the fat extracted, and will not give the same texture result.
Store the cake in the refrigerator covered in order for the cake to retain the perfect shape.
One of the easiest and healthiest ways to get healthier skin is to increase your consumption of plant-based foods and…
Eating right isn’t only vital for your physical health, but your mental health as well. Food can directly affect everything…