- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (7-8 medium sized ones)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup lite canned coconut milk, lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (If you don’t want a buttermilk flavor, just omit)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional garnish: fresh or dried thyme
- Peel and chop up your potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks. Add them to a large pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil and once boiling, add both the teaspoons of salt and garlic powder and give it a quick stir. This tip really flavors the water, so that the potatoes have depth of flavor. Turn the heat to medium-high, so they don’t cook too high of heat. Cook for about 15 minutes until they are fork tender. Drain and let sit for 5 minutes to release some of the water. (Tip: While the potatoes are cooking, add the coconut milk and vinegar to a cup and stir. Let sit for a few minutes.)
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic powder to the milk and stir.
- Add the potatoes to a large serving bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher to break them up.
- Now add the reserved coconut milk mixture and mash again until very smooth or until desired consistency. If you want yours less fluffy/more creamy, add more milk, but you’ll need more spice. Taste and add any extra salt/spices if desired. I added just another pinch of salt, as it was really wonderfully flavored. I garnished mine with fresh thyme because I love a fresh element added, but dried thyme or any of your favorite herbs would work. Fresh thyme is more potent, so use dried if preferred. (Feel free to add vegan butter if desired. I personally don’t add it, but know some like it.)
- Serve immediately.
Vegan, Gluten-free, Oil-free, Nut-free, Soy-free
Nutrition per 1/2 cup: 168.7 calories, 1.6 g fat, 6 g protein, 39.3 carbs, 4.5 g sugars
If your new year’s resolution is to live more sustainably, look no further than your own kitchen. Composting your fruit…
The liver is a powerhouse organ and is the body’s main detoxifier. Aside from being your own personal filtration system,…