For the Filling
- 3 small honey crisp apples (You will need 1 lb, about 5 cups, total combined of sliced apples)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I love a strong cinnamon flavor, but feel free to use less if you don’t)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (the thick golden crystals – 3 packets)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (you can leave out if you want, but I love the crunch and flavor they add)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free old fashioned oats (not instant), separated
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (optional, it gives a more buttery taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Optional: extra raw sugar for sprinkling on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and grease the bottom of a 9 inch pie dish.
- Peel and slice the apples into wedges, about 1/4 inch thick. Add them to a large bowl and set aside. (I chose to use honey crisp apples in this dish because of their natural sweetness, making the need for sugar very minimal.)
- In a small cup, add the remaining “filling” ingredients and stir. Pour over the apples and stir and coat them very well. Spread the apples out into the greased pie dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the syrup and almond butter. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add only 3/4 cup of the oats into a food processor and process until a fine flour forms. I let mine run about 2 minutes. Add the oat flour, oats and cinnamon to the bowl with the syrup. Stir well.
- Pour the topping mix over the apples and spread out evenly. Sprinkle additional raw sugar on top, if desired. I sprinkled some to give it some more crunch and a nice sheen. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the apples are tender, when pierced with a fork and the top is very golden brown. Best served straight out of the oven and aside cinnamon ice cream!
Gluten-free and Oil-free
You do not have to use almond butter for the recipe. I only use it if I happen to have it on hand. It is delicious without it, but it does give a more buttery topping.
For thousands of years, all across the world, people have been consuming turmeric. But thanks to social media, the spice’s…
We all know green tea offers numerous health advantages. From low key benefits like increasing alertness to bolder claims like…